Global Power Generation’s 218MW Ryan Corner wind farm is set for construction near Port Fairy in Victoria, with a “Balance of Plant” Contract being awarded to a joint venture between Decmil and RJE Global. This project comprises 52 wind turbines with a capacity of 4.2MW each. The wind turbines will be connected via underground cabling to a centralised 33kv/132kv switchroom and substation. This is subsequently connected to the 500 kv Tarrone terminal station via a 132 kv overhead line. The turbines will be supported by mass concrete gravity footings embedded in the natural terrain. The wind farm will be interconnected with approximately 39 kilometres of upgraded existing and new access tracks.
Decmil and RJE Global have an established working relationship, with RJE Global successfully providing subcontracting works for Decmil on the Warradarge wind farm and Yandin wind farm projects.
Scope of works
Decmil and RJE Global will perform the Balance of Plant civil and electrical works.
The Civil scope of works includes the design and construction of the access roads, hardstand areas and the wind turbine foundations (design by client). Civil works also include geotechnical investigations, drainage infrastructure, substation pad construction, fencing, site establishment and facilities, utilities, survey and material testing.
The Electrical scope of works includes the design, supply, installation, testing and commissioning of all power cables required for the wind farm 33kV reticulation network, associated earthing and communication systems, 33kv transportable switch room/control room and the supply and installation of the operations and maintenance facility.
Key project challenges
To ensure the success of this Project Decmil/RJE will focus on managing the following key issues:
- Establish a high level of engagement with Australia Industry to ensure cost-effectiveness and value for money in all levels of subcontractor/supplier packages
- Innovative, cost-effective design concept and engineering design development that is reflective of the local environment requirements
- Quantifying and effectively controlling the schedule, resources and production rates to assure Project targets are achieved
- Procurement and fabrication of long lead items in accordance with the Construction Schedule
- Ensuring that Project delivery occurs within the set commercial and technical parameters.