Decmil was awarded the Geelong Ring Road Stage 4B project by VicRoads Geelong Ring Road Project. In September 2010 works begun on a new 5km freeway – standard link to run west from Anglesea Road to the Princes Highway near Draytons Road.
The scope of works included:
- Bridge constructions, including 2 interchanges (Bridge Over Warnambool Rail and Anglesea Road Interchange);
- A pedestrian underpass;
- 5km of road duplication;
- Service and utility installation;
- Two environmentally sustainable rest areas;
- Duplicated link between Anglesea Road to Draytons Road, Waurn Ponds;
- Construction of Visual Screens and Noise walls.
In order to construct this duplication through the Waurn Ponds Valley it required a detailed earthworks program and logistics to allow for approx. 800K cubic metres of earth to reshape the area for the successful completion of the project.
Side tracks were constructed as the first stage of the works to transition the traffic without any disruption for the duration of the project.
The project also includes a dam which during construction was remodelled to accommodate the interchange and was also used as the key water supply for the project which has now been landscaped to match in with the local environment beneficial to the flora and fauna of the area.