Fortescue Metal Group was undertaking a project to increase iron ore export capacity to 155 million metric tonne per annum, and engaged Decmil to assist in providing its expertise to increase the rolling stock fleet by constructing both new permanent facilities and upgrading of existing rail support infrastructure.
The scope of works included:
- Construction of the new rail car workshop and amenities building at Thomas Yard
- Construction of a locomotive inspection pit at Thomas Yard
- Design and construction of the new Locomotive Facility at Kanyirri site
- Modification to the existing workshop at Thomas Yard
- Co-ordination with the new rail car workshop fitout with the specialist equipment provider